Here are some simple and healthy budget recipes. Click on the image for the full recipe.
Recipes from the Community
Alessandra's Italian Eggs (and Middle Eastern variant)
1 x 400g tin of Italian tomatoes (whole)
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
6-8 leaves basil
grated Parmesan cheese (or strong cheddar finely grated)
sea salt and black pepper
1 tsp sugar
lots of crusty bread or Parmesan mash
For the Middle Eastern variant replace basil with:
1½ tsp ground cumin
¼-½ tsp hot pimentón, paprika or chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander, chopped (optional)
Replace parmesan with Feta cheese
1. Soften the onion in olive oil in a frying pan.
2. Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes
3. Add tomatoes and simmer for about 10-15 mins or until starting to thicken
4. Add sugar and basil and cook for a few more minutes
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. Crack eggs into the tomato and cook until white set but yolk runny
7. Serve with bread or toast or mash
You can make the Middle Eastern version (Shakchouka) by adding the spices and coriander after you cook the garlic, cook for a minute more and then add the tomatoes. Crumble feta over the top instead of parmesan, and sprinkle some more chopped coriander.
Alessandra's Simplest Tomato Sauce & Pasta
Serves 2 -3 large portions; 4 smaller portions.
1 x 400g tin of whole plum tomatoes
1 stick celery
1/2 large onion
40g salted butter
Pasta (preferably shapes like shells, tubes rather than spaghetti). Allow 70-80g dry pasta per person and 50g for children.
Send us a Recipe
We are always looking for more recipes. Do contact us if you have any recipes that we can add to the website. You can send recipes using the form below or email email@example.com. Thanks!