Here are some simple, healthy, budget meal ideas. Click the image for the full recipe.
Recipes from LOCAL PEOPLE
Alessandra's Italian Eggs
1 x 400g tin of Italian tomatoes (whole)
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
6-8 leaves basil
grated Parmesan cheese (or strong cheddar finely grated)
sea salt and black pepper
1 tsp sugar
lots of crusty bread or Parmesan mash
For the Middle Eastern variant replace basil with:
1½ tsp ground cumin
¼-½ tsp hot pimentón, paprika or chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander, chopped (optional)
Replace parmesan with Feta cheese
1. Soften the onion in olive oil in a frying pan.
2. Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes
3. Add tomatoes and simmer for about 10-15 mins or until starting to thicken
4. Add sugar and basil and cook for a few more minutes
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. Crack eggs into the tomato and cook until white set but yolk runny
7. Serve with bread or toast or mash
Alessandra's Simple Tomato Sauce
Serves 2 -3 large portions; 4 smaller portions.
1 x 400g tin of whole plum tomatoes
1 stick celery
1/2 large onion
40g salted butter
Pasta (preferably shapes like shells, tubes rather than spaghetti). Allow 70-80g dry pasta per person and 50g for children.
1. Roughly chop plum tomatoes
2. Peel carrot, chop in half
3. Peel onion and chop in half
4. Add all ingredients (including the juice of the tomatoes) except basil to a medium pan. Bring to boil and then simmer gently for 20-25 minutes. The veg should be very soft.
5. Either fish out the veg or puree it in using a hand blender or even better a food mill.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Tear up basil leaves if using and mix into the sauce.
7. Cook pasta and drain.
8. Add some butter and most of the sauce to the hot pasta.
9. Mix well and serve with a little of the remaining sauce.
Send us a Recipe
We are always looking for more recipes. Do contact us if you have any recipes that we can add to the website. You can send recipes using the form below or email email@example.com. Thanks!